Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Chalk Pastel Tulips

I do alot of searching...searching for a new and interesting art lesson, searching through magazines for something that catches my eye, searching for a new project that will gets the kids excited.

When I see something I like, I save it to my computer and look through my log of ideas and photos and try to see how I can change it and make it mine.  Some of these images I have had for months, and sometimes even years, so I wish I could have given this artist some credit. 

I used her idea of tulips and incorporated it into a lesson for the students.  I was a little skeptical trying it with them because chalk pastels are very tricky.  They smudge alot, and if you are not careful it could end up like a big chalky mess.  My little guys in the class can find this challenging, their first instinct is to rest their hand on their paper, so teaching them to hold it upright can be trying.

Anyway, I am over the moon with the results.  It was way better than I had expected and I have to give some of my girls recognition.  Giovanna, you always make me proud.  I love the blues you used in your work.  Andrea, I cant stop thinking of how sad I am going to be when you take a break from art this session.  This was your best work yet and I am so proud of you for concentrating and making one of the most beautiful pieces of work I have seen from a student in a long time.  Bethany, gorgeous.  Loved your colors, neatness, and blending.  Great job.  And my final compliment goes to Caroline!  I cant believe that you are in first grade and did such an amazing job.  It has made me so happy that you have accomplished such a hard project that is really made for a middle school child.  You rock Caroline.







No comments:

Post a Comment